Sketchy Thursdays 11.17 Challenge

>> Wednesday, November 23, 2011

We recently made a long distance move. Not a lot of fun with four little kids including a newborn, but on the bright side it served as a good catalyst to purge our belongings.  I must admit that I take an almost gleeful satisfaction in organizing our possessions and seeing a large number of things destined for the thrift shop and rubbish bin.  Of course, I also take immense pleasure in scouting out deals and re-accumulating more stuff once we are settled in our new house, but that is another conversation entirely. 

Generally I can be quite heartless when it comes to tossing or giving away stuff.  My kids tend to get a look of terror in their eyes when they see me headed towards their playroom with a garbage bag.  My husband has learned to keep really important things at the office where I can't accidentally throw them out in a cleaning frenzy. You're not likely to see my house on any upcoming episodes of hoarders.

Unless of course they start a new show called "Scrapbooking Hoarders". (Which, incidentally is a really good idea.  I would totally watch that if I had a t.v.)

I do go into my scraproom regularly with the intention of cleaning it out and purging the excess supplies, really I do.  I just get distracted and start working on layouts instead. Or I just sit and admire the pretty bits and baubles.  It's so hard to throw any of it away.  I mean, if I bought it in the first place it was likely because I liked it, and just because I now have more paper than I could possibly use in a dozen lifetimes does not mean I like any of it any less than I originally did. Sigh.

My husband suggested that the solution is to stop buying more stuff until I have used up everything that is currently in my stash - which would be really good advice except for the aforementioned buying addiction... 

Anyway, all that is to say that I have been feeling a bit guilty about the amount of supplies that I "had to have" only to put them away and never look at them again, so when I sat down to make this layout for this week's Sketchy Thursday challenge, I also challenged myself to use some of my "old" supplies. The end result is a layout of Oliver that uses Making Memories papers and embellishments that I bought to do a layout of Isaac... 4 years ago.
(Please forgive the crummy photo - apparently we don't get any sun during the winter here!)


7 comments:

Chantal Vandenberg November 24, 2011 at 8:06 PM  

Lovely layout - that tape measure ribbon looks great!

Lisa Elton November 24, 2011 at 9:38 PM  

Oh how precious is your little one! Love the big polks dots and the corrugated accents. Very sweet Sarah!!!

Kasia November 26, 2011 at 10:33 AM  

Soooo cute! Lovely take on the sketch! Love that 'measure' tape :) Thanks for playing along with us at Sketchy Thursdays!

Anonymous,  November 26, 2011 at 7:21 PM  

Adorable LO! Thanks for playing along with Sketchy Thursdays!

mariko November 29, 2011 at 3:28 AM  

Cute!!
Thanks for playing along with ST!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek November 29, 2011 at 5:04 PM  

Sooooooooooo precious!! I love the photos and the colors!! And I get into frenzies like that too! lol! Thanks so much for playing along with Sketchy Thursdays! :):):):):):):):):):):)

Audrey Yeager November 30, 2011 at 8:35 PM  

OK, if they make a Hoarders scrappbookers episode, I am SOOOO gonna be on it! :) Please don't turn me in...I won't be able to get rid of anything! :)

At least you are using up your stash! Your page is just precious! Thanks for joining us at Sketchy Thursdays!

Post a Comment